DGR 2021 – AN INCREDIBLE 10TH-YEAR ANNIVERSARY
The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride 2021, the annual event in which thousands of classic and vintage-style motorcycle riders gather all over the world to raise funds and awareness for prostate cancer research and men’s mental health, took place on May 23rd and the fundraising closed on Sunday June 6th.
The 2021 edition of The DGR marked a milestone for the initiative as it represented its 10th-Year Anniversary.
More than 65,000 riders, in 913 cities all over the world, dressed dapper and rode their classic-style motorcycles raising all together more than $4,000,000 USD and the Triumph Team contributed to the cause with 298 riders who raised $113,000 USD.
Compared to the 2020 edition, when the ride took place in the ride-solo format resulting in 56,000 riders participating and $2.5m USD raised, the 2021 results represent a sign of hope for the near future as well as a clear testimony of DGR’s incredible event organization capabilities.
The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride 2021 still faced Covid-related challenges: three different ride formats - Covid-safe, Route Only and Ride Solo – were, in fact, implemented worldwide to ensure the safety of all participants.
Considering the continuing challenges, the DGR’s results for 2021 are truly incredible.
Triumph have been proudly supporting The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride for the last eight editions and, in order to celebrate the 10th-Year Anniversary Milestone of the DGR, a celebratory one-off Thruxton RS was built and it is currently displayed at the Triumph Factory Visitor Experience.
The one-off DGR Thruxton, together with three other modern classic motorcycles, will be gifted to the winner of the Gentlefolk competition and the three best fundraisers respectively.
Mark Hawwa, Founder & Director of The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride:
“After 10 years of The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride, I still find myself in awe and wonder of the dedication of our incredible gentlefolk around the world. To make it through 10 years, raising over $31.5M USD toward men’s health and connecting literally hundreds of thousands of like-minded motorcyclists together - it’s unfathomable - and that success could not have been made possible without the support we receive from our partners at Triumph Motorcycles.
I’m particularly proud of all our devoted ride hosts and their teams who work so hard to bring these rides to each and every city around the world, and I’m grateful to everyone who has shared their stories with us over the years. Behind the impeccably dressed riders are stories linking them to prostate cancer and men’s mental health, and only through the efforts of Movember are we able to make a difference to the lives of men living with and beyond these cause areas.
We have such a rare opportunity to present our dedicated riders with prizes courtesy of Triumph Motorcycles, and this year most notably rewarded a fundraiser with the 1-of-1 special edition DGR x Triumph Thruxton RS. Together, we have made an unbelievable impact in the lives of men, and that is something we will always be proud of.”
– END –
For further information contact Stefano Campaci on firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
· First established in 1902, Triumph Motorcycles celebrated 118 years of motorcycle manufacture in 2020. For more than three decades, Triumph Motorcycles has been based in Hinckley, Leicestershire, and has produced iconic bikes that perfectly blend authentic design, character, charisma and performance.
· Building around 60,000 bikes per year, Triumph is the largest British motorcycle manufacturer and has around 650 dealers across the world.
· This focus, innovation and engineering passion has today created a broad range of bikes suited to all motorcycle riders, including the stunning new Trident 660, epic new Tiger 900, world leading Rocket R and GT, new higher performance Street Triple 765RS, iconic Scrambler 1200, Speed Triple, transcontinental Tiger 1200, iconic Triumph Bonneville family including the sporty Speed Twin, Bonneville Bobber, legendary Thruxton RS, accessible Street Twin, Street Scrambler and iconic Bonneville T120 and T100, plus an exciting and accessible A2 range of Triumph motorcycles.
· Triumph currently employs around 1,800 personnel worldwide and has subsidiary operations in the UK, North America, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan, Sweden (Scandinavia), Benelux, Brazil, India, China and Thailand as well as a network of independent distributors. Triumph has manufacturing facilities in Hinckley, Leicestershire, and Thailand plus CKD facilities in Brazil and India.
· The Triumph Bonneville, famously named to celebrate Triumph’s 1956 land speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, USA, was the original British superbike and a race-winner straight out of the crate, chosen by famous motorcyclists of the past for its legendary handling, style, and character. It’s that handling, character and style, married to modern rider-focused technology that makes the new Bonneville family the authentic modern classic choice today.
· Triumph has a glorious racing history, competing in and winning races in almost every class and field of motorcycle sporting achievement. From winning the second ever Isle of Man TT in 1908, through to 1960s road and track domination in Europe and America, right up to contemporary racing achievements with the 675cc Triumph triple powered 2014 Daytona 200 win, the 2014 Isle of Man Supersports TT win, the 2014 and 2015 British Supersports titles and World SuperSport racing, and again in 2019, with another victory at the Isle of Man Supersports TT, piloted by Peter Hickman.
· Triumph’s racing legend continues as the exclusive engine supplier to the FIM Moto2™ World Championship since the start of the 2019 season. Triumph Motorcycles provides all of the teams with race-tuned 765cc triples, each of which is based on the class-leading Street Triple RS powerplant. Redefining the class and breaking record after record in the inaugural year, including the first ever +300km/h Moto2™ top speed, the 2020 season got even faster with another 11 all time lap records and seven different winners from 15 races.
· Triumph’s racing activities are further bolstered by a return to the British Superbike paddock in 2021 with a factory-supported race team in the British Supersport Championship.
· In 2021 Triumph have announced their forthcoming entry into the Motocross and Enduro worlds as well as a new factory racing effort, with a commitment to top tier championship racing in both Motocross and Enduro series.